Algiers Point

It’s a short ferry ride from the foot of Canal Street in busy downtown New Orleans to Algiers Point, but the transition is dramatic. Algiers Point is New Orleans’ Brooklyn without the bustle, the place with great views of the city skyline and the Mississippi River. Part of Orleans Parish since the city annexed it in 1870, this neighborhood still has the feel of a village.

That character has made “The Point” a favorite with musicians and artists. Initially, they also were drawn by affordable property, but the housing values have risen steadily over the last two decades and are comparable today to Faubourg Marigny and the Lower Garden District.

Algiers was part of the land grant given to New Orleans founder Jean Baptiste LeMoyne, Sieur de Bienville by the Company of the Indies in 1719 and was subsequently acquired by Adrian de Pauger, one of the French engineers who laid out the Vieux Carré.

Courtesy of the Preservation Resource Center of New Orleans